Monday, October 22, 2007

No pain No Gain

These words equating gain due to some kind of major discomfort are sometimes very accurate, but not in the worlds version. The world uses this statement to describe working out in the gym and gaining muscles. I remember running with a buddy of mine in high school that tried to encourage me when I complained (after less than 1/2 a mile) that my stomach and side was hurting by saying, "it just burns because it is helping. Keep running and it will stop." In my mind I thought "yeah right, when I fall over from a heart attack." But the principle of was right! My side was hurting because I was out of shape and my body was adjusting and becoming more healthy. Sometimes in our spiritual lives, things hurt and bring us much pain, but those are the things that the bible tells us produce perseverance, and perseverance helps strengthen our faith! This past week I have counseled with several people facing many types of problems and pain ranging from death to financial loss and other personal problems. In all of these situations, I know that God will use them for His good to strengthen character, integrity, ministry, love, and many other characteristics in each persons life. In my life, God has been using even the stories and problems of others to teach me many things and I am thankful. I have hurt this week for the one who lost a loved one, I have been concerned with the one who is having a hard time with finances. Sometimes I take other peoples problems to heart and make each one a personal concern. The one thing God has spoken to my heart is without the test, God can not build a testimony. The pain comes, but after the pain, you gain those things which shape us more and more into the image of Christ! No pain No Gain? You bet, and I am thankful even as I look back at the trials God has brought me through. And though I know I will face many more tough days, it is good to know that I am being made to be more like Jesus! Ultimately because of His pain, we gained everlasting life, through Jesus!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Daniel my brother this is Darrell Glenn Hudson. I am the one that adds comments on Rod Mason's Devotions and I used to go to Binghamtown Church. You know my brother I am so glad and so thankful that we are being conformed to the image of God's dear Son. All things truly do work together for good to those who love God and are called according to his purpose. HE IS THE POTTER AND WE ARE THE CLAY BLESSED BE THE NAME OF OUR WONDERFUL LORD. GOD BLESS YOU MY PRECIOUS BROTHER. I LOVE YOU MAN TAKE CARE BYE.